By the baker, pastry cook & chocolatier Merav Scheiner Danchenko
50 gr (5 1/4 Tbsp) active yeast
280 ml (1 cup) milk, room temperature
6 medium eggs
1 kilo (10 cups) flour, sifted
150 gr (3/4 cup) white sugar
320 gr (1 1/3 cup) butter, softened
15 gr (3 tsp) salt
1 egg yolk
450 ml (1 cup) warm water
220 gr (1 cup) sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer dissolve the yeast in the warm milk, let stand a few minutes until yeast starts to foam.
2. Add the eggs and sugar and beat lightly.
3. Slowly add the sifted flour into the mixing bowl.
4. Start mixing on a slow speed.
5. Gradually add the softened butter and knead for for about 5 more minutes
6. add the salt and knead for another 5 minutes
7. Transfer to a large floured plastic bowl, it's preferable to split the dough into 2 bowls. Cover the bowl(s) and let rest in the fridge for 10 hours.
8. After rested divide the dough in half again (so you now have either 2 or 4 dough balls).
9. Lightly flour a work surface and with a rolling pin start rolling out the portions of dough into rectangular sheets
10. With the help of a spatula sprinkle a generous layer of cinnamon onto the entire surface of the dough, feel free to use another type of filling as you desire (nutella, nuts, jam, etc.)
11. From one edge start to roll the dough until you have one long rope, then cut into pieces 2-3 cm/ 1 inch long
12. In a round 20 cm/ 8 in wide pan, start to place the pieces about 2 cm away from each other.
13. Mix a little milk with the egg yolk and brush onto the top of the the little rolls.
14. Let rise another 3 hours in a warm place.
15. Prepare the syrup, bring the sugar and the water to a boil on medium high heat until sugar is fully dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened, remove from heat, set aside, and let cool.
16. In a preheated oven of 170 C or 340 F, bake in the center of the oven for about 45-50 minutes. Bake until just starting to brown.
17. Remove from the oven and transfer immediately to a wire rack or a cold surface to let cool.
18. Drizzle the syrup over the top of the little rolls, or alternatively you can sprinkle with powdered sugar. ENJOY!