Leg of Lamb with Root Vegetables and White Wine Sauce
by the chef Atalya Ein Mor
Leg of lamb, weighing approximately 2 kg 4.5 lbs
Olive oil, of good quality
Ground black pepper
1 bunch of celery with the leaves
6 sage leaves
3 sprigs of cilantro
5 sprigs of parsley
5 sprigs of thyme
½ head of garlic, separated into cloves
Make the rub:
- Rub the leg of lamb with the high quality olive oil and black pepper and massage into the meat, place the lamb in a roasting pan.
- Spread the remaining ingredients (garlic, celery, and the rest of the spices) over the lamb.
- Cover the roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil and let it marinate in the fridge over night.
The Next Day:
A few turnips, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
2 sweet potatoes
½ bottle of white wine
Pint of chicken stock
Cumin, a pinch
- Preheat oven to 200 C or 400 F
- Place the lamb, uncovered, into the oven and cook on each side for approximately 8 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 150 C or 300 F, cover the meat with aluminum and cook
the meat for 3 hours
- Roughly cut the vegetables (into large chunks or quarters)
- After the 3 hours, take the roasting pan out of the over, and raise temperature to 160 C or 320 F
- Place all the remaining ingredients into the pan, cover the leg of lamb and place back into the oven, cook for 3 more hours.
- After the long cook the meat should come out of the oven extremely tender and delicious.